Freedman's Savings Bank, ca. 1890, James M. Goode Collection
The Freedman’s Savings Bank established its headquarters in Washington, D.C., at Pennsylvania Avenue and Madison Place, today the site of the Treasury Department Annex.
Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress
The Freedmen's Bureau - 2
In 1865 Congress created the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen and Abandoned Lands, known as the Freedmen's Bureau, to provide for the needs of displaced and formerly enslaved persons. The Freedmen's Bureau provided humanitarian, educational, and legal services. It also supervised labor contracts and redistributed abandoned lands. Separately, Congress chartered the Freedman's Bank to encourage savings. Four African Americans elected to the House in the 19th century––Representatives John Mercer Langston, Jeremiah Haralson, Josiah Walls, and Robert C. De Large—had worked for the Freedmen's Bureau.